"To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said,

'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."


- SNOW & ROSE by Emily Winfield Martin


Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My FIRST Official Review: Halflings by Heather Burch, available now!

Hi again!!!
I am back with my first official review and debut for 2012!!!
I couldn't believe that a newbie like me was approved by NetGalley to read/review this :)


Title: Halflings 
Author: Heather Burch
Release date: (Orig. February 1, 2012) January 2012 (available now!) 
Age Group: Young Adult 
Publisher: Zondervan Publishings 
Available Formats: Paperback (288 pages), Ebook 
Author's website: http://www.heatherburchbooks.com/ and 
http://halflings.ning.com/

"After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with. 


A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world."

_______________________________________

Halflings. Half human... half angel.

That's all I needed to know!
It starts off quick with lots of action and you instantly get sucked right in, running through the forest and trying to catch your breath while trying to figure out what is going on, right along with Nikki Youngblood.
Nikki was definitely not who I expected her to be! From the synopsis, I got the impression of 'damsel in distress', but she is quite the opposite - this girl is super smart, gutsy, stubborn and forthright.

Meet the "Lost Boys"...  Mace. Oh, sweet Mace!
The leader. The rule follower. The one with the biggest heart.
And then Raven. Raven.
The confused 'bad boy' - but instantly you can tell that it is all just a front and you will grow a soft spot for this tough guy...
And lastly, but certainly not the least in one bit, Vine.
Vine is the youngest of the three 'brothers' - innocent, sweet, and probably the strongest.

Halflings reminded me of Peter Pan's story - the angels refer to themselves as 'lost boys' and Mace definitely played the Peter Pan lead-role, while Nikki was a lot like Wendy; and "Captain Hook" and his minions are everywhere!

This book is fast paced, the story is laid out well, the writing is good and easy to follow...
but I can't help but feel that the book was a bit short! It ended too quick for me - it left me hanging and wanting to know more about ALL the characters, which is good! It ends a good spot where you know that the story will pick up where it exactly left off and storm ahead with more action, love... and lots of angel wings!

____________________________________

The sequel to Halflings is called Guardian, and will be released in September 2012.
The third, and last book to the trilogy, Risen, is currently scheduled to be released towards the end of 2012 as well.

In the meantime, you can also get your hands on 11:15: The Making of a Halfling -
a FREE illustrated ebook, right now!! !


"Mace and Raven are given a mission to stop a catastrophic event. 
With his halfling abilities still untapped, Vine is allowed to join the mission, but only as a spectator. The clock is ticking and the tragedy is proving difficult to stop. Will Vine be able to sit back and watch, or will the power of heaven unleash just in time?"

I would suggest reading this 20 page sort-of synopsis first!
It definitely gives you a feel of what to expect in Halflings, a peek into their world, a sense as to how a halfling becomes one and introduces you to all the main characters!

________________________

So, how did I do???
Thanks for stopping by! Until next time!!!

8 comments:

  1. Great review! You are the second person I've read to give this book high praise. The cover didn't grab me, and I wasn't going to check it out. But I really liked your description of the characters, and I think I would like the Peter Pan allusions. Thanks!

    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice review! I have seen this book popping up quite a bit recently and the cover alone intrigues me. I liked that your review gave me a better idea of the story without telling me more than I wanted to know. I am a new blogger and am trying to find that nice middle ground. Thank you for your review!

    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this review! I'm thrilled that you loved my "orphan angels " Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first review. You did great!

    Glad to have found you via the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Misfit lost boys?! Yes, please! Great first review, Margie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading this right now and your right. The beginning sucked me right in. I hope the rest of the book lives up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the same thing about Peter Pan! I loved how it influenced Halflings. I didn't notice a Captain Hook figure until you pointed it out. So interesting!! Thanks for the link to that ebook - I just finished Halflings and I had no idea there was a free companion book. Nikki was quite the kick butt, motorcycle riding heroine and I really liked her. Loved your review.

    Jessica @ Books: A true story

    (Sorry my name says unknown - don't know how to fix it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment today!
If you are asking a question and you are a no-reply commenter,
please email me directly at thebumblegirl at rocketmail dot com or leave your email in the comments...
Thank you! and, as always, happy reading :)

 
Imagination Designs
Images by LabyrinthofDreams