"To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said,

'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."


- SNOW & ROSE by Emily Winfield Martin


Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday #39: THE SWEET DEAD LIFE by Joy Preble



"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by  Breaking the Spine. 
This is were we get to 'spotlight' books that we are anxiously waiting to be released! The ones that we are dying to get our hands on and read into the wee hours of the night and, quite possibly, to make our shelves look all pretty too :)


What I'm waiting on... 


by Joy Preble 
Expected release date: May 14th, 2013
Published by: Soho Press
Genre: Young Adult 

SUMMARY
"I found out two things today.
One, I think I'm dying.
And two, my brother is a perv."

So begins the diary of 14-year-old Jenna Samuels, who is having a very bad eighth-grade year. Her single mother spends all day in bad. Dad vanished when she was eight. Her 16-year-old brother, Casey, tries to hold together what's left of the family by working two after-school jobs - difficult, as he's stoned all the time. 
To make matters worse, Jenna is sick. 
When she collapses one day, Casey tries to race her to the hospital in their beat-up Prius and crashes instead. 

Jenna wakes up in the ER to find Casey beside her. Beatified. Literally.
The flab and zits? Gone.
Before long, Jenna figures out that Casey didn't survive the accident at all. He's an "A-word."
(She can't bring herself to utter the truth.)
Soon they discover that Jenna isn't just dying:
she's been poisoned.
And Casey has been sent back to help solve the mystery that not only holds the key to her survival, but also to their mother's mysterious depression and father's disappearance. 


Why I'm waiting on THE SWEET DEAD LIFE...

Another twist on Angels! 

Sounds like a tear-jerker, 
but I'm hearing that Jenna is quite spunky and that there are a lot of funny moments, 
especially when it comes to her brother, Casey. 

And I LOOOVE this cover! 

I am really looking forward to this mystery...
Who is poisoning Jenna? Why?
What has happened to Casey?
Why is their mom so depressed and unaccounted for?
Where did the dad go?
SO many questions!!! 
Can't wait to read this one!

SO, what are you waiting for this week???
Please share :) 

15 comments:

  1. This one has me intrigued and sounds like a really interesting take on the saturated Angel market. Will keep my eye on this one for sure!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so interesting! I think I'm probably going to get annoyed with the brother, though :)

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I read your post because this book sounds awesome. I already have so many questions running in my head from just the summary alone. Thanks for bringing this book to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! I hadn't heard of it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fab!! New follower :D

    I'm having an international giveaway:

    http://pageafterpagereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/book-to-film-review-life-of-pi-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good! Your blog is seriously adorable.

    Rebecca @ fictionandfabrics.wordpress.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely want to read this one. It sounds super adorable, but emotional, too! :D

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting read, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/12/waiting-on-wednesday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a very poignant read - she has a whole lot going against her. Here is my WoW. New GFC Follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh a new one for me. YAY. I have added it to my TBR. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting! Haven't heard of that one before :) Thanks for sharing.

    WoW Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this one around a lot lately! I remember seeing it in a lot of BEA hauls too. It looks pretty good!

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like it will be a good book. I would like to read it once it releases.

    My WOW: http://breathofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/12/waiting-on-wednesday-40-hysteria.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment today!
If you are asking a question and you are a no-reply commenter,
please email me directly at thebumblegirl at rocketmail dot com or leave your email in the comments...
Thank you! and, as always, happy reading :)

 
Imagination Designs
Images by LabyrinthofDreams