"To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said,

'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."


- SNOW & ROSE by Emily Winfield Martin


Friday, January 2, 2015

My 2015 Reading Goals and Challenges (THE POPSUGAR 2015 READING CHALLENGE)


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I hope you all had an amazing New Year's Eve and Day :)
Here's to many, many wonderful bookish things to come!!!

Just like everyone else in the book-world, I have some bookish goals and reading challenges I would like to do and accomplish for this new year :)

Here we go...

First, I decided to do the Goodreads 2015 Reading Challenge again!
Just like last year, I am challenging myself to read 120 books. That means I would have to try to read around 10 books per month. However... I don't limit myself to what kind of books, how many pages, genres, etc. I include everything that I plan on writing a review for. Which means, I should be posting 1 to 3 reviews per week. I think that this is something that I can keep up with and accomplish this year ;)

Secondly, I decided that I am not going to be participating in the challenges that I usually sign up for every year. In the last 2 years, I have dedicated a page on my blog to try to keep track of other reading challenges, such as the Standalone Reading Challenge and the TBR Reading Challenge, amongst others; and I always failed at not only reading the books to meet those challenges, but keeping track of the few that I did read as well. I think that I am going to go back to "quality vs. quantity" and just read!

BUT, there are two challenges that won't require me to do much upkeeping, so I shall try to follow through with them!

The first is to continue on with The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge!
I have read 49 out of Rory's 341 books so far.
This challenge will help me get back on track with what I've been wanting to do for ages - read more classics! I own quite a few already that I have yet to read. And I hope to read one per month.

There are 50 prompts!!! Which means I have to read 50 books for this challenge!!!
I have selected a few books that I already have and really want to read this year for some of them. The others will be filled in as I find books that fit my mood - I want to try to keep this challenge for books that I already own (or plan on owning)... I don't think it will be too difficult to fill all of these in, especially since my goal is to read approx. 120 books this year... regardless, it's definitely going to be a lot of fun!!!



THE POPSUGAR 2015 READING CHALLENGE
(Updated on 4/30/2015)

1. A book with more than 500 pages: 

2. A classic romance: JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte

3. A book that became a movie: IF I STAY by Gayle Forman (YA)

X 4. A book published this year: A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES by Sarah J. Maas (YA)

5. A book with a number in the title: 

6. A book written by someone under 30: THE WANDERERS by Kate Ormand (YA)

X 7. A book with non-human characters: BEASTKEEPER by Cat Hellison (MG)

X 8. A funny book: HOW TO PEE: POTTY TRAINING FOR BOYS by Todd Spector (C)

X 9. A book by a female author: CRUEL BEAUTY by Rosamund Hodge (YA)

X 10. A mystery or thriller: THERE WILL BE LIES by Nick Lake (YA)

11. A book with a one word title: SINNER by Maggie Stiefvater (YA)

X 12. A book with short stories: TWISTED FAIRY TALES by Maura McHugh (YA)

X 13. A book set in a different country: BOYS DON'T KNIT (IN PUBLIC) by T.S. Easton (YA)

X 14. A non-fiction book: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC KIDS ALMANAC 2016 by National Geographic Kids (MG)

X 15. A popular author's first book: LAMENT, The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Steifvater (YA)

16. A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet: REBEL BELLE by Rachel Hawkins (YA)

17: A book a friend recommended: SERAPHINA by Rachel Hartman (YA)

18. A Pulitzer Prize winning novel: 

19. A book based on a true story: 

20. A book at the bottom of your TBR list: THE STEPSISTER'S TALE by Tracy Barrett (YA)

21. A book your mom loves: THE LONGEST RIDE by Nicholas Sparks (A)

22. A book that scares you: 

1/2 of my Popsugar TBR!!!
23. A book more than a 100 years old: WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte (Classic)

24. A book based entirely on its cover: TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE by Jenny Han (YA)

25. A book you were supposed to read in school and didn't: THE OUTSIDERS by S.E. Hinton (Classic)

X 26. A memoir: THIS STAR WON'T GO OUT: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther, Lori and Wayne Earl (YA)

27. A book with antonyms in the title: 

X 28. A book you can finish in a day: FIND MOMO COAST TO COAST by Andrew Knapp (E)

29. A book set somewhere you've always wanted to go: 

30. A book published the year you were born: WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein by Shel Silverstein (MG)

31. A book with bad reviews: 

32. A trilogy: DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE Trilogy by Laini Taylor (YA)

33. A book from your childhood: PIPPI LONGSTOCKING by Astrid Lindgren (Classic) 

34. A book with a love triangle: HIDING IN THE SPOTLIGHT by Karen Booth (A)

X 35. A book set in the future: UNCHANGED (Unremembered #3) by Jessica Brody (YA)

X 36. A book set in high school: THE QUEEN OF BRIGHT AND SHINY THINGS by Ann Aguirre (YA)

X 37. A book with a color in the title: A MOM FOR UMANDE by Maria Faulconer (C)

X 38. A book that made you cry: A MEMORY OF VIOLETS by Hazel Gaynor (A)

39. A book with magic: SPELLCASTER by Claudia Gray (YA)

X 40. A graphic novel: THE SCULPTOR by Scott McCloud (A)

X 41. A book by an author you've never read before: THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski (YA)

42. A book you own but never read: 

43. A book that takes place in your hometown: 

44. A book that was originally written in another language: THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Classic)

X 45. A book set during Christmas: WINTERSPELL by Claire Legrand (YA)

46. A book by an author who has your same initials: 

47. A play: 

X 48. A banned book: THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER by Stephen Chbosky (YA)

49. A book based on or turned into a TV show: HOMECOMING (The Hundred #3) by Kass Morgan (YA)

50. A book you started but never finished: I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by Jandy Nelson (YA)



What are your bookish goals/challenges this year???



4 comments:

  1. Good luck with this challenge, Margie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also doing the PopSugar Challenge, and I'm really excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone's doing the Popsugar this year. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing great with the Rory Gilmore Challenge! I should review my list and see if I can cross any more off ... and I only challenged myself to 100 books this year. I always think 10 books a month is totally doable but then I have months where I only read 3-4 books ... we'll see. Last year I did 121! And I don't limit that to certain books, either. So long as you're reading, right?

    Good luck with your reading this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment today!
If you are asking a question and you are a no-reply commenter,
please email me directly at thebumblegirl at rocketmail dot com or leave your email in the comments...
Thank you! and, as always, happy reading :)

 
Imagination Designs
Images by LabyrinthofDreams